Sunday, June 7, 2009

Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening

Joe and I were reminiscing about New England this weekend and part of our thoughts drifted towards Robert Frost, the great American poet.

While I lived in New England, we would pass by Robert Frost's home on several occasions as it is in Derry, Hew Hampshire...just a few minutes down the road from where Joe's parents live. All I remember is that it was a cute little home, painted in white, on a big lot right off of Route 28. There is nothing remarkable about the house, really. It is cute and very country-ish. But what I think is more remarkable is the work of the man who lived there.

His words have often been favorites of mine while studying poetry in my English courses during school years and were, without a doubt, quite often inspired by the terrain around him - some of his poems light and inspirational, some dark and foreboding. Whatever sentiments were intended, his works are nothing short of amazing. Some of his most famous poems include The Road Not Taken, Acquainted With the Night, and Birches. Below is one my absolute favorites.

Enjoy!!

Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.
My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.
He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

2 comments:

Lindsay Teague Moreno | 5ive Photo said...

remember how we had to learn "The Road Not Traveled" in Mrs. Wuerzer's english class? I still remember most of it by heart (that and the freaking prepositions...stupid thing to make students memorize). Please tell me I am not the only one to remember this!

L

t dawg said...

You are DEFINITELY not the only one who remembers that. That class is actually the reason that I remember The Road Not Taken. I never really understood why they made us memorize different things, but I guess it opened our eyes to poetry, huh? But, no...you are definitely not the only one to remember this. It's funny how little I remember from college, but how MUCH I remember from grade school! he he he

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...