Wednesday, March 5, 2008

I am literate

Theresa asked me to write a blog, and a certain sister of mine was accusing me of being illiterate because I never respond to emails or write blogs, so here's my contribution. I started dialysis last night , and it was interesting to say the least. I had to go straight from work to get there for 3pm, fighting traffic to drive 30 miles (I get out of work @ 2:30). So I got off the highway and look around, and realize I don't want to be in this neighborhood during daylight, nevermind after dark when my treatment is done. I really questioned whether or not the car would still be there when I was done.

I found the place and went in, and realized I am the youngest person there...by about 50 years. I got checked in and met my social worker. He's a nice guy, but he's a little weird. He ends every sentence with a laugh, he's from Maine, and he lives with his best friends wife. whatever, I go to the clinic to start my treatment and the nurse comes over to make me sign more paperwork, and there's screaming from the lobby. All the nurses run out of the room, then a few run back in looking for the "crash cart" and then leave with the cart, and don't return for half an hour. I swear some old person must have died out there. I never did get an explanation. On a side note, aren't people in the health care industry supposed to be healthy ? One of my nurses (who I'll call tiny) must have been 400lbs. But I digress. So I finally got hooked up to the machine, and the procedure started and really the only side effect was weight loss (4 kilos) and hypothermia...they keep the clinic at a balmy 32 degrees and you have to have your access site exposed at all times. Your access site being where the machine is hooked up to, in my case a catheter in my neck, so I had to wear a tank top for 4 hours. I watched TV, read a magazine, and finally it was over so I went looking for one of the 2 nurses that spoke english to ask them questions, but apparently their shifts had ended and they went home leaving me to ask an asian nurse who sucked at the english questions. I still don't know what the answers are. At least the civic was still there when I walked out. I called United Health Care today, I'll be switching clinics ASAP.

Voila, there's my contribution.

Joehammed

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...